Frequently Asked Questions

The following provides responses to questions frequently asked regarding a rural subdivision development.  Some of the ‘answers’ repeat certain information.  Further information is available on other pages of the website, and can be provided to specific inquiries directed to the developer.

In what RM is the development located?
RM of Blucher #343.  RM office is in village of Bradwell.  Taxes and permit fees vary between RMs. Blucher has comparatively low taxes.  As a ratepayer you will receive a quarterly information bulletin from the RM. See website:

Does the RM charge development fees?
Development fees totaling $11,500 are paid by the developer upon the transfer of each parcel. A development/building permit (Bylaw #10-2004), from the RM office is required before any new building is started.  Two sets of plans and appropriate fee must accompany the building permit application.  A sewage disposal permit must also be obtained from the Public Health Inspector.  Refer to bylaws and info on RM website: in the Planning & Zoning section.

What is the water supply?

Water supply is from a SaskWater (Saskatchewan Water Corporation) line east of the development at Hwy 316.  This is City of Saskatoon water.  The waterline location on the property is marked with blue steel stakes, not to be removed. A curbstop is located on each parcel. Connection info is outlined in the user agreement. The lot purchaser  is responsible for costs of waterline construction and materials from curbstop to the house.   The private water system consists of a holding tank (cistern), pressure system pump and meter.  SaskWater sets the maximum flow permitted, therefore tank storage is necessary.  There will be a small annual fee paid to the residents' water association to cover administrative and legal costs and to establish a fund for future maintenance, repair etc.  Procedures for this are set by the agreement with SaskWater.  Water meter reading and billing will occur quarterly, with an annual correction to billing confirmed by SaskWater.

What kinds of infrastructure costs are expected to be paid?
The water supply connection and system as stated earlier.

Regarding onsite waste disposal. The geotechnical examination indicates that the parcels can be considered highly suitable for on-site waste disposal. Acceptable onsite wastewater disposal systems are outlined in the Saskatchewan Health (2009) “Saskatchewan onsite Wastewater Disposal Guide  You are responsible for complying with provincial regulations in installing a septic tank and constructing a field or mound.  You will arrange for private contractor to pump out the tank as needed.

A private drive (entry road) from the approach to yard is the responsibility of the homeowner.  The developer can recommend a local operator to build the drive.

What services are included with the purchase of the property?
Included are water supply with a curbstop on each parcel.  SaskPower and SaskTel box and meter location on each parcel. SaskEnergy Gas line at property border for connection (For parcel F, the gas line service is just short of the property line).  No additional services are provided unless determined by the Bluebird Way Residents Association.

Parcel owners will receive a copy of the geotechnical and hydrological engineering report information addressing soil characteristics, slope stability, effluent capability, and a plan including land elevation contours.

What is not included? To be provided by Lot Owners?

  1. Provision of a connection to the water supply (curbstop)  including piping, storage cistern, pressure system;
  2. Provision of domestic sewage disposal reasonably suited to the needs of the dwelling constructed on the Lot, such as septic tanks or mounds, in a manner subject to provincial requirements and subject to approval by Saskatoon District Health, and
  3. Domestic garbage and solid waste collection and disposal (see later answer).

What upfront and recurring costs should be budgeted for?
Residents of Bluebird Way are part of a water corporation. There will be a minimum monthly charge for the water group operations. SaskPower, SaskTel, SaskEnergy have connection charges and minimum monthly charges for their service.  You will pay property taxes to the RM of Blucher, billed in August. You will need to have adequate property insurance in place.  We are proposing a modest Bluebird Way Resident Association annual fee for purposes agreed to in common.

Who is responsible for garbage and recycling? Is there pickup?
The RM operates a waste transfer site on the Pit Road NE 24-36-3 W3 2 miles south of Hwy 5 on the Pit Road.  This is approx. 10 miles northeast of the development (location is 4 miles East of the Patience Lake Potash Mine and 2 miles North. There is no charge to residents of the RM.  Certain items need to be sorted and a list of items are not permitted. Hazardous waste, and paint/solvents can go to Saskatoon on designated day.  See RM website for details.   Loraas Disposal Services Ltd. (306-242-2300 provides auto-bin pick-up using their containers to be placed along Bluebird Way road at parcel entry.

Where do I get my mail?
Canada Post box and mailing service has been  available at the Clavet Junction Store.  This is a new fuel and convenience store off Hwy 316.  The postal code for is S0K 0Y0.

Where is a local school?  Is there school bus pickup?
Clavet Composite School offers grades 1-12. See: Contact the Prairie Spirits School Division regarding school bus service.  One family in Bluebird Way used this school bus service.

Who is responsible for maintaining the roads?
Bluebird Way is maintained by the RM Blucher.   Private drive maintenance including snow clearing is the responsibility of the parcel owner.  A neighbour is available to clear future drives on an hourly basis. A contract for the RM to undertake custom work in conjunction with any Daisy Lane or Bluebird Way work, may be possible depending on a number of factors – sharing cost, equipment availability, acceptable timing, number of driveways etc. One should expect that an unusually heavy and prolonged snowstorm could result in some delay and may necessitate neighbours pitching in to open the road. 

Are there any special zoning regulations, setbacks or buffers that I need to consider?
The subdivision is zoned medium density rural residential. See the RM website ( for development requirements.

Yardage set backs - Minimum 45.7 m (150 ft) from center of municipal road.
- Side a minimum of 3 m (10 ft) from property line.
- Rear a minimum of 3 m (10 ft) from property line

A building permit is required prior to commencing any construction on any lot.  There are size limits for detached accessory buildings. There are setbacks for shelter belts along municipal roads.  There are various other requirements regarding storage on property, number of livestock, barn setback etc. (Contact the RM Office for details).

Can there be an in-home or yardsite business?
Bylaw #2-2003 requires permission from Council, a municipal business license and payment of small fee. See RM Office.

Are there architectural design standards in place?
Architectural and Conservation design requirements and guidelines are referred to on the website. They are practical considerations that enhance the performance and resiliency of your dwelling, and that maintain the general character of the landscape that we expect you and neighbours want. Questions regarding these can be directed to the developer.

Are there any rules in regards to landscaping on the property?
See Architectural and Conservation design requirements above. 

Are there timelines that dictate when I have to build?  The R.M. of Blucher does not have a build-by date for new construction on subdivided lots. Typically a developer will want construction to begin within a designated period, usually six months to one year. We appreciate the new property owner may want to, or need to, take longer. On the other hand, in the interim, the developer incurs certain costs for other property maintenance costs and minimum water system cost. Therefore where appropriate a reasonable charge will be determined to cover these.  Upon the R.M issuing a building permit, the period is for six months. The R.M. may extend the permit for an additional six months upon request.

Can I build a ready-to-move (RTM) house?
There is no explicit rule prohibiting this. The RTM housing market has advanced in regards to energy conserving designs, quality controlled pre-fab construction techniques, custom options etc.  Agreement by the developer would be considered on a case-by-case basis depending on the design and siting considerations.

How close is the development to emergency response services?
See RM website for info. Fire Department/Emergency telephone 911. A dispatcher will determine the type of emergency and contact correct response team – fire, ambulance, police service.  Police emergency is 310-RCMP(7267)

The closest hospital is the Royal University Hospital (about 20 minutes away), and the City Hospital is just a little further. There are good medical clinics and pharmacies in the south-east of the city open 7 days a week. An emergency response plan will be consulted on and agreed to by the Bluebird Way Resident Association. 

How was the property previously used?
The property has been in agricultural use since homesteading circa 1905.  From 1981 on the 80 ac. property was a rural acreage with single house and barn. Approx. 30 ac. were in alfalfa hay and alternating cereal crop (oats, wheat, flax).  Approx 1o ac was fenced grass for horses and a few years for grazing cattle. The remainder has been preserved as woods, meadow, prairie and brush.